Part Time / Remote (4–10 hours/week)
Schedule: Flexible, availability must include at least 3–4 hours overlap with Eastern Time (UTC-4) business hours
Come join our growing team! The Himalayan Institute’s offerings are rapidly growing, and how we engage and communicate with our community is critical to the success of our mission. Our Web Development team is seeking an experienced Front-End Developer on a part-time/contract basis to augment our existing skillset by crafting robust, beautiful, usable interfaces for our various web properties.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter with proven front-end web development skills; the fast-paced and cross-functional nature of the work we do in Creative Services requires that candidates be highly organized, collaborative, and flexible, with a strong sense of responsibility and ability to multi-task. Remote candidates must also have experience working remotely as a freelancer or contractor. This is a one-time contract position, though we are open to extending the contract’s term for the right person.
We are seeking a talented, experienced front-end web developer to join our Creative Services team for a part-time contractor role maintaining existing technology and architecting new solutions. You will be responsible for supporting the Web Development team in creating dynamic, interactive user-facing web applications.
Specific responsibilities may include:
- Collaborate cross-functionally to understand the needs of our business divisions; conceptualize, plan, design, and build features that best serve those needs
- Own projects independently, from strategy and design to implementation, deployment, and maintenance
- Contribute meaningfully to the Web Development team by helping us improve our internal tools, libraries, workflows, and standards
- Design and build user-friendly features that are performant, accessible, and consistent with the best practices of modern front-end development standards and patterns
- Partner with our design team to create clean, inviting interfaces that are consistent with the style and voice of our existing web properties
- Conceptualize and develop custom React applications that integrate seamlessly with our existing WordPress ecosystem
- Proactively seek out, investigate, and research emerging technologies that can enhance the execution of our business functions
- Mentor our full-time web developers to refine and expand their front-end development skills
- Ability to communicate effectively, both out verbally and in writing
- Strong teamwork skills and collaborative, community-oriented spirit
- A positive, can-do attitude
- Ability to work independently and self-sufficiently, especially with regard to time management, personal organization, and task prioritization
- Ability to work part-time, optionally remotely, without any conflicting obligations
- Availability for 3–4 Eastern Time (UTC-4) working hours per day you work for meetings and pair programming sessions
- Proficiency in React with ES6 and JSX syntax
- Experience with version control concepts and tools—we use Git on GitHub and GitLab
- 3–5+ years of professional web development or software engineering experience, or demonstrable equivalent
- Comfort with at least one modern, server-side programming language—we use PHP and Go primarily
We don’t expect every applicant to have experience with everything in our stack. That being said, a significant overlap is helpful for being able to make an immediate impact in this particular role. If any of the following sound like you, we’re especially excited to speak with you.
- Expertise with version control concepts and tools—we use Git on GitHub and GitLab
- Experience with type-safe, object-oriented PHP
- Experience writing documentation using Markdown
- Experience integrating with or creating custom WordPress plugins and other server-side APIs—our React apps integrate with WordPress and Slim
- Experience writing an API client or service, integrating with a vendor API using code, or familiarity with modern API specifications, such as OAS and JSON:API
Interested in working with us? Great! Please start by filling out the application form below (HR needs it), then to help us get to know you, please email us at email@example.com with answers* to the following questions:
- What’s the URL of your website? If you don’t have one, why not?
- What’s your web/coding history? When did you start, and what have you done between then and now?
- What do you want to do with the rest of your life, and how is Himalayan Institute a step toward your long-term goals?
*No need for a full cover letter—an informal email will do just fine.
Join Our Team!
The Himalayan Institute is built on a community of residents from all over the country and the world—dedicated students of life who value collective responsibility and respect for all. We are looking for more than a contractor—we value those who are passionate about working toward a common goal. Even though this role may be remote, you will be a part of our community, which functions on mutual respect and pride in our organizational mission.
If you think you would be a good fit for the Himalayan Institute and that we would be a good fit for you, apply today!