Maura Manzo began to practice yoga to “learn to breathe” after a fire destroyed her home in 2006, and has been in love with yoga ever since. Her classes are breath focused and challenging, encouraging a deepening of the physical and spiritual sides of the practice but also inviting critical thinking about how to show up in the world more empowered and engaged.
She has studied extensively with Off the Mat into the World and its founders and faculty, specifically around trauma-informed practices and the intersection of social justice and yoga. She is currently working on a service learning and cultural immersion collaboration with Hope for Haiti—together they have developed a meaningful 7-month curriculum to support a transformational journey that builds community, encourages critical thinking about being a more responsible, engaged global citizen, and raises awareness around issues currently impacting Haiti. Locally, she is dedicated to making the practice of yoga more inclusive and accessible for all people.
In 2006, Maura graduated from the Institute of Integrative Nutrition in New York City and quickly became a practicing health coach, helping others learn to eat, feel, and live better. In 2010, following her yoga teacher training, she raised $20,000 for HIV/AIDS programs in South Africa as part of OTM’s Global Seva Challenge. She considers that project a defining moment in her life and in taking her practice to the next level, both as a student and as a teacher. In 2012, she co-created the Beyond Asana Yoga Teacher Training with Brittany Policastro, which combined asana, sacred activism, personal growth work, and global travel. Together, they raised over $350,000 and helped built 5 schools for their partnership with BuildOn. Most recently, she co-founded #fromhometohaiti, a strategic partnership between Yoga Home and Hope for Haiti that has currently raised over $32,000 for sustainable development projects in Haiti while engaging yoga students in critical dialogue around service in action and responsible citizenship.
Maura’s deep commitment to building community shows up in all that she offers. She has been invited to teach at Wanderlust Philly and Namas Day 2013 & 2014. She has been named one of Be Well Philly’s Top 5 Yogis to Watch and was featured in Origin Magazine’s focus on Philly Yogis. In 2016, Maura won Philadelphia Magazine’s Best of Philly Award for Best Yoga Podcast. She teaches regular classes, workshops, and trainings at her studio, Yoga Home.
Trainings & Certifications
- 200-Hr YTT: An Authentic Journey Into Yoga, Health & Happiness with Jennifer Schelter and Phyllis Bookspan
- 50-Hr YTT: The Art of Vinyasa Flow with Seane Corn
- Psychology of the Chakras (7 Day Intensive) with Anodea Judith
- Chakras, Pranayama, Meditation & Sacred Yogic Texts (100 Hr) with the Himalayan Institute
- Enhancing Trauma Awareness and Deepening Trauma Awareness with Lakeside Global Institute
- Trauma-Informed Yoga Training with Hala Khouri
- Yin Yoga Modules I & II with Corina Benner
- Yoga, Purpose & Action Intensive with Off the Mat, Into the World
- Advanced Leadership Training with Off the Mat, Into the World
- Yoga and 12-Step Recovery (Y12SR) with Nikki Myers
- Reiki Level 1 Certification with Marlene Henkin
- Yoga Gangster Outreach Training with Terri Cooper
- Eat, Breathe, Thrive with Chelsea Rolf
- Institute of Integrative Nutrition: Holistic Health Counseling
For future retreats, trainings, and workshops with Maura visit www.ouryogahome.com