« All Events
- Please disable iOS Private Browsing or otherwise enable HTML Local Storage to activate all features
Finding Joy in the Third Stage of Life
Friday, August 17, 2018 @ 7:30 pm–Sunday, August 19, 2018 @ 12:30 pm
Reverse the typical view of aging to one of joy and strength as you head into the third stage of life! Modern society has associated getting older with loss, fear, and debility. In contrast, ancient wisdom sees the potential for growth, vibrancy, and expansion as you are relieved of the daily duties of work and family and move into retirement. Scientific research now supports this time-honored view—that our bodies and minds are quite capable of vibrant health and happiness well into our our later decades of life.
At this engaging weekend seminar on healthy aging, you will:
- Learn how stress and inflammation are related, and how to manage them both through breathing and relaxation practices
- Discover easy methods to get deep, restful sleep every night
- Practice techniques proven to reduce aches and pains associated with aging
- Experience how exercise makes you younger
- Understand how to adopt an anti-inflammatory diet and stick with it
- Meet your microbiome and learn how to support good digestion
- Improve brain function and increase mental clarity using methods based on scientific research
- Learn how to begin a meditation practice that will make you more vibrant and healthy, and how to maintain this practice
Living a Vibrant Life
Rather than feeling despondent or resigned to common symptoms of aging—joint pain, insomnia, memory loss, or incontinence—Carrie Demers, MD and Bill Ryan, PhD will inspire you with facts and tips from both modern research and ancient wisdom. You will come away feeling buoyant, enthused, and confident that your body and mind can remain strong and brilliant for many many years to come!
The program begins with orientation on Friday evening and concludes at lunch on Sunday.
Amenities Beyond Your Daily Treatment Schedule
In addition to the weekend retreat schedule of lecture, practicum and massage, you will have access to:
- Morning yoga classes
- 3 vegetarian meals daily
- Explorations in self-awareness
- 400 acres of wooded hiking trails and vistas
- Sacred Grove Cafe
- The MarketPlace Bookstore and Giftshop
- Unlimited Wi-Fi
Board-certified in both internal medicine and integrative medicine, Carrie Demers, MD, is a holistic physician who blends modern medicine with traditional approaches to health. After receiving her medical ...
See full bio.
Bill Ryan earned a PhD in exercise physiology from the University of Wisconsin and holds degrees in nursing and public health (epidemiology). In addition to being licensed as a registered nurse, Bill is ...
See full bio.