Full time (40 Hours)
Schedule: Flexible hours depending on project assignments and Retreat Center events
Come join our growing team! The Himalayan Institute’s offerings are rapidly growing, and how we engage and communicate with our community is critical to the success of our mission. Our Web Developers are an integral part of our Creative Services team. They ensure each division of the Himalayan Institute has the digital support they need in order to realize their business objectives.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter with proven web development skills; the fast-paced and cross-functional nature of the work we do in Creative Services requires that candidates be highly organized, collaborative, and flexible, with a strong sense of responsibility and ability to multi-task.
We are seeking a talented web developer to join our Creative Services team for a dynamic, multi-faceted role maintaining existing technology and architecting new solutions. You will be responsible for supporting our entire organization in the areas of online user experience, interactivity, and web software and services.
Specific responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Work cross-functionally to manage and enhance the Himalayan Institute website
- Collaborate with the Marketing team to execute organization-wide product launches and marketing campaigns, skillfully managing time and resource constraints
- Ensure adequate test coverage spanning unit, functional, and user testing and ensuring that testing processes are in place and adhere to best practices
- Participate in customer service and on-call rotations using our ticket-based support system
- Organize and publish new web page content based on key stakeholder requirements
- Partner with our design team to create clean, inviting interfaces that are consistent with the style and voice of our existing web properties
- Conceptualize, plan, and implement dynamic, interactive web applications that actively engage our users
- Research new technologies and methodologies for solving web and business problems; propose solutions and participate in critical team decisions
- Develop custom WordPress plugins to seamlessly integrate our website with third-party software and services—e.g. MailChimp, Zoom, Stripe, Algolia, etc.
- Proactively support existing technology and web applications, including testing and implementation of necessary software updates
- Investigate and research emerging technologies that can enhance the execution of our business functions
- Learn independently and work with our experienced web developers to expand your skills and advance your career trajectory
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Strong teamwork skills and collaborative, community-oriented spirit
- A positive, can-do attitude
- Ability to work independently and self-sufficiently, especially with regard to time management, personal organization, and task prioritization
- 1–3+ years of professional web development experience or demonstrable equivalent
*If you don’t feel like you exactly meet each one of these specific criteria, but you believe in what we do, please apply anyway!
We don’t expect every applicant to have experience with everything in our stack. We are more interested in someone with a demonstrated ability and interest to learn those tools on the job. That being said, if any of the following sound like you, we’re especially excited to speak with you.
- Proficiency with version control concepts and tools—we use Git on GitHub and GitLab
- Proficiency in type-safe, object-oriented PHP
- Experience developing custom WordPress themes and plugins
- Experience writing an API client or service, integrating with a vendor API using code, or familiarity with modern API specifications, such as OAS and JSON:API
- Experience writing documentation using Markdown
- Familiarity with the Linux command line and common infrastructure tools, such as Nginx, Apache, and Docker
- Familiarity with unit testing and CI/CD tools, such as PHPUnit, RSpec, and GitLab CI
- Familiarity with writing, interpreting, and refining design specifications
Interested in working with us? Great! Please start by filling out the application form below (HR needs it), then to help us get to know you, please email us at email@example.com with answers* to the following questions:
- What’s the URL of your website? If you don’t have one, why not?
- What’s your web/coding history? When did you start, and what have you done between then and now?
- What do you want to do with the rest of your life, and how is Himalayan Institute a step toward your long-term goals?
*No need for a full cover letter—an informal email will do just fine.
All Residential Positions Include the Following:
- A minimum commitment of one year unless otherwise stated.
- Benefits of the Himalayan Institute Residential program, including room and board.
- Access to yoga seminars, yoga classes, and many other opportunities to study with exceptionally experienced teachers.
- Training and support for developing skills in your respective position.
Join Our Team!
The Himalayan Institute is home to residents from all over the country and the world. Our community is held together by dedicated students of life who value collective responsibility and respect for all. We are looking for more than employees—for people wanting to join our community and work toward a common goal. You will be a part of our community living environment, which functions on mutual respect and pride in our organizational mission.
If you think you would be a good fit for the Himalayan Institute and that we would be a good fit for you, apply today!