Full time (40 Hours)
Come join our growing team! For more than forty years the Himalayan Institute’s Retreat Center has been a gathering place for people seeking inspiration and aspiring to restore inner balance. We are seeking a dynamic and motivated individual to join our Guest Services team in the position of Sacred Grove Cafe barista.
This position is primarily responsible for making sure our guests have the best possible experience in the Sacred Grove Cafe. This includes:
- Welcoming customers and determining their coffee interests and needs
- Educating customers by presenting and explaining the coffee drink menu; answering questions
- Selling packaged coffee by explaining differences in coffee beans
- Preparing and selling coffee drinks by following prescribed recipes and preparation techniques for coffee drinks including espresso, caffe latte, and cappuccino
- Generating revenue by attracting new customers; defining new and expanded services and products
- Maintaining inventories by replenishing coffee bean supply; stocking coffee brewing equipment; maintaining supplies, pastries, and cookies for coffee bar
- Ensuring proper equipment operation by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; and calling for repairs
- Maintaining safe and healthy work environment by following organization standards and sanitation regulations
- Improving quality results by studying, evaluating, and re-designing processes; implementing changes; and maintaining & improving the appearance of the store and coffee bar
- Enhancing coffee shop reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments
Job Skills and Qualifications:
- Verbal communication
- Customer focus
- Customer service
- Basic safety
- People skills
- Action oriented
- Selling to customer needs
- Client relationships
The Himalayan Institute is home to residents from all over the country and the world. Our community is held together by dedicated students of life who value collective responsibility and respect for all. We are looking for more than employees—for people wanting to join our community and work toward a common goal. You will be a part of our community living environment, which functions on mutual respect and pride in our organizational mission.
All Residential Positions include the following:
- A minimum commitment of one year unless otherwise stated.
- Benefits of the Himalayan Institute Residential Program, including room and board.
- Access to seminars, yoga classes, and many other opportunities to study with exceptionally experienced teachers.
- Training and support for developing skills in your respective position.