Congratulations! You’ve made the commitment to participate in our seven-day, Spring Renewal challenge. And now you’re probably wondering what that means. Ayurvedic specialist Scott Blossom and his team at Doctor Blossom created the renewal program. Scott describes what you can expect beginning March 24.He answers additional questions in our FAQ section.
Don’t Go It Alone
We’re here to help you every step of the way. In the weeks leading up to the cleanse, we’ll send you a shopping list and helpful hints to prepare for your renewal week. Once the cleanse starts, you’ll receive a daily e-newsletter with all the information, tips, and encouragement you need. Most people find cleanses easier to do when they can get other people to participate with them—so ask your friends to join you. Haven’t signed up yet? Click here and let’s get started!
Easy Does It
An ayurvedic cleanse emphasizes simple actions and gentle results. Your body no doubt took a long time to get in the shape it’s in, so take loving care in rebalancing it. A food-based cleanse will allow you to get the nutrition you need to nourish any deficiencies while reducing any excess—without fasting or taking time off work.
The Cleanse Itself
1. You’ll start each morning by cleaning your tongue with a tongue scraper; using a neti pot; and then drinking at least six ounces of hot water.
2. A daily rub, called abhyanga, with warm sesame oil before you shower or bathe, will feel grounding and nourishing for the whole body.
3. Gentle yoga, tai chi, swimming, biking, walking every day will stimulate the lymphatic system, which helps detoxify the body. We’ll provide yoga videos for specific classes you can take as well as breathing techniques and meditation instruction.
4. Kitchari—a mung bean and rice soup—will be the mainstay of your diet. You may flavor it with chutneys or spice blends of your choice and, for a little variety, accompany it with steamed, baked, or lightly sautéed veggies. We’ll give you the recipes to make all this good stuff.
5. You’ll need to drink hot water or a simple digestive tea throughout the day and avoid cold or iced drinks, which slow down your metabolic fire (agni).
6. You’ll take two capsules of triphala, a gentle ayurvedic cleansing formula containing three of the most important herbs for detoxification and rejuvenation.
7. On the last day of your cleanse, you’ll drink our special potassium broth and do gentle restorative yoga practices. Journaling, meditating, and reflecting define this day.
8. At the end of the week we’ll show you how to gradually return to a more expansive diet and lifestyle that will help you sustain the health benefits of the renewal program.