Total Health Workshop for Women
250 women came from several nearby villages to attend a workshop, hosted by HI Cameroon’s Total Health Center, which focused on hygiene and sanitation awareness and how to improve health in homes and villages.
Eucharia Kouh, Total Health Program Leader, presented a holistic approach to addressing hygiene and the common problems caused by sanitary concerns. In addition, she discussed the Total Health Center products, services and consultations that use Ayurvedic herbs, homeopathy, yoga, breathing practices, relaxation techniques, and diet and nutrition education. Topics included:
- Proper hygiene, sanitation, and waste management
- Freedom from depression (using alternate nostril breathing and meditation – learning to focus your mind on your breath, NOT your problems)
- Freedom from stress (using systematic relaxation and proper sleep)
- Freedom from allergies, Catar and Sinus infections (using Nasal cleansing)
- Freedom from obesity, and diet related problems – Basic diet and nutrition
- Proper hand washing techniques
- Proper teeth brushing techniques
- Introduction to first aid
- Basic joints and glands exercises for increased circulation and mobility
- Remedies for the common cold and flu
These outreach efforts help to break through the stigmas that many women have about visiting health centers to seek guidance. Since hospitals are expensive, many village people wait until it’s an emergency before seeking treatment, at which point it’s often too late. For this reason, hospitals have become associated with death and disease, instead of healing and prevention. HI Cameroon is working to reverse this tread, by providing greater access to affordable medicine and more education about disease prevention.